History of Unified Services
The Harrison County Sheltered Workshop opened on August 25, 1975 in what is now the R & C Manufacturing plant on South 18th Street in Bethany. The impetus for the opening of business to employ adults with disabilities came from the Harrison County Association for Retarded Citizens. This group had operated a school for students with disabilities, financed solely by donations since the mid-1950. A grant had been obtained from the Missouri Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities to start the workshop program.
The first manager was Rick Miller. The first secretary was Nita Peugh. The first production supervisor was George Sobotka. There were 15 employees the first day.
In February 1996, the workshop moved to its present location at 501 South 26th Street, Bethany. This site was acquired with funds raised through a Department of Economic Development Neighborhood Assistance Program Project. The doing business as name of Unified Services was soon adopted after that.
In 2003, The Nifty Thrifty was started in a vacant building west of the main workshop. Later another Neighborhood Assistance Program was obtained and the current location at 3304 Miller Street was acquired.
In 2009, Unified Services became one of the work facilities across the country that was awarded document destruction contracts with the federal government by SourceAmerica. The next year, our separate document destruction plant, in a separate building north of the main workshop was completed. This line of business is certified by and complies with all requirements of the National Association for Information Destruction.
Unified Services currently employs over 65 people with disabilities from Harrison, Daviess, Mercer, and Gentry counties. There are currently 20 staff positions as well.